One of my favourite Chinese proverbs goes along the lines of “The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago. The second best time is now”. It’s a little bit fortune cookie-ish, but it never fails to make me feel like there’s still time to get going. Get going on getting healthy, learning something new, making millions or just becoming really awesome at something.
So here I am, fresh out of university, unemployed, desperately trying to not make this first post sound like a lump of cheddar, and failing miserably. I did journalism and media production, so I should be good at this, but I’m out of practice. Basically, I think the best way for me to get going on things is to write them all down, in a very public place, where there’s no room for porkies. I know the internet is THE platform to lie your cotton socks off, but what would the point of that be?
SO, here are the little seeds I’m going to start planting right now. I’m going to:
- Keep on scribbling: It’s one of the things I can safely say I’m pretty above average at, and if I stopped now, I think that’s the end.
- Jump on the healthy train: My body definitely needs to be rewarded for surviving 3 years of university with a life time of exercise and vegetables… with the occasional slip up of course.
- Get out of the country: England is lovely (sometimes), but I feel like the rest of the world may (definitely) be better.
- Sprechen sie Deutsch: That is almost 100% wrong, so I want to learn what’s right! My mission is to make the “unsexy-ist language” in the world sound semi-attractive.
- “Become a hippy”: I told a guy at the gym that I would love to work with the environment, clean up the oceans and make people give even the tiniest of shits about nature, and that was his response. So yeah, there’s some work to do.
- Embody Mary Berry: May crash into the healthy train now and then, but it’s essential for my happiness I’m afraid.
- Get amazing at photography: I can be a wannabe environmentalist and photojournalist all in one, right? It sounds right!
For now, all of that sounds pretty doable for this tiny little sapling. This is my scribbling, those are my branches, and I will get there.